Acorn Squash Soup with Horseradish, Corned Beef and Toasted Walnuts
- 1-1/2 Lb. Lean corned beef
- 3 Qts. Water
- Peppercorns nutmeg, mace, bay leaf, juniperberries and cloves
- 2 Lb. Acorn squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 Oz. Prepared horseradish drained
- 1-1/2 to 2 Qts. Corned beef broth
- 1-1/2 C. Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Oz. Walnuts toasted in 2 Tbs. oil
- 4 Tbs. Finely diced chives
Place corned beef into water seasoned with herbs and spices and cook until tender. Remove, trim, cube and set aside corned beef; reserve broth.
Add cubed acorn squash, horseradish and heavy cream to broth, and simmer in suitable pot until squash is tender.
Puree’ (if too thick, add more broth; it too thin, reduce), season with salt and pepper and add cubed corned beef. Before serving, sprinkle with toasted walnuts and chives.