Spinach Salad with Tomato-Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 Lb. Fresh spinach cleaned, leaves removed and stems reserved
- 4 Plum tomatoes
- 2 Oranges cut into sections, zested
- 6 Walnuts halves or pieces
- 1 C. Figs halves or pieces
- 1 Tb. Ketchup
- ¼ C. Olive oil
- 2 Tsp. Lemon juice
- Section the oranges over a bowl to catch any juice that may run out. Gently squeeze the sections with your hand to remove any remaining juices being careful not to crush the sections. Reserve the juice and the sections.
- Cut three of the tomatoes on a bias in thin slices and lay around the perimeter of shallow bowl. Remove the seeds from the remaining tomato and chop. In a food processor, puree the chopped tomato with the orange juice, lemon juice, ketchup and the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and reserve the dressing.
Place the spinach leaves in a large mixing bowl and toss with the dressing from the blender. Transfer the dressed spinach to the bowl with the sliced tomatoes. Top with sliced figs, walnuts and the orange sections. Sprinkle the salad with zest and season with salt and pepper.
Add rice, couscous or pasta for added texture