The Scottsdale Plaza Resort – Scottsdale, Arizona
October 10-12, 2021
2021 Technical Meeting
“Approaching the Way Forward”
Join your ADS colleagues this year for an enjoyable and educational meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona, at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Located steps from Camelback Mountain, Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, and Old Town Scottsdale. The convenient location also puts you in close proximity to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (17 miles, approximately 26 minutes).
If you’re making dressings, sauces or other condiment products or supplying to those who do, this is an event you don’t want to miss. Education abounds through a variety of technical sessions that provide know-how and solutions, from generations in the workplace to trends to sustainable packaging. And don’t miss the Information Open House, the only ADS-sponsored tabletop exhibit of the year, where one-on-one introductions are made, and new business relationships are forged. This year will also feature the every-other–year New Products and Services Presentations by ADS supplier members. These are just a few of the benefits you’ll experience when you attend this annually-celebrated industry meeting!
Let’s continue the celebration of ADS’ 95th anniversary…in-person!
Schedule of Events
- Executive Technical Board
- Technical Committee
- Quality Assurance Committee
- ADS Packaging Committee
- Membership Advisory Council
|Saturday, October 9|
|4:00 – 5:30 p.m.||Packaging Committee Meeting*|
|6:00 – 7:00 p.m.||Meet ‘n Greet Reception (Dinner Open)|
|Sunday, October 10|
|8:00 – 10:00 a.m.||Technical Committee Meeting*|
|10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||Quality Assurance Committee Meeting*|
|12:30 – 4:00 p.m.||Executive Technical Board Luncheon Meeting|
|2:00 – 3:30 p.m.||Membership Advisory Council|
|6:15 – 6:30 p.m.||Meeting Check-In|
|6:30 – 9:00 p.m.||Welcome Reception and Awards Dinner|
|Monday, October 11|
|7:00 – 7:45 a.m.||Group Breakfast|
|8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||General Session|
|12:00 – 1:30 p.m.||Luncheon for Delegates|
|12:00 – 4:00 p.m.||Board of Directors Luncheon Meeting|
|1:30 – 3:30 p.m.||New Products and Services Presentations|
|3:45 – 4:15 p.m.||Information Open House Set-Up|
|4:30 – 6:30 p.m.||Information Open House (Dinner Open)|
|Tuesday, October 12|
|7:00 – 7:45 a.m.||Group Breakfast|
|8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||General Session|
|12:00 – 1:30 p.m.||Luncheon for Delegates|
|1:30 – 4:00 p.m.||Quality Assurance New Testing Techniques Workshop|
|6:30 – 9:00 p.m.||Closing Reception and Dinner|
*Committee meetings open to observers
Scheduling of Non-ADS Functions
Please remember that no events are to be scheduled to conflict with official ADS events. This includes, but is not limited to, hospitality suites, production facility or office tours, special breakfasts or dinners, recreational activities, including transportation and similar events.
Executive Technical Board
The Executive Technical Board (ETB) works with staff to direct and supervise the ADS Technical Program, which ensures that Association members remain proactive on technical issues affecting the industry (e.g., labeling, food safety, processing, and preservation). Committees operating under the purview of the ETB include the Technical and Quality Assurance Committees.
The ETB is overseeing ADS-funded research that will explore the microbiological risks related to ingredients (raw and treated) and in-process steps. The ETB continues to work with a representative of the USDA on a buffering capacity model for dressings. Phase 1 of the study was published in the April 2020 issue of the Journal of Food Science, and Phase 2 of the study is underway.
The Technical Committee undertakes research projects with a focus on ingredients, finished products, methods, equipment and instrumentation to advance the knowledge of the dressings and sauces industry. The Committee is undertaking the following projects:
- No Sugar Added BBQ Sauces
- Correlation of viscosity measurements between the Brookfield Viscometer and Bostwick Consistometer
In addition, Kelly D’Amico of Ingredion Incorporated will present the topic, “Applications for Using Gums, Starches and Stabilizers in Dressings & Sauces.”
Quality Assurance Committee
- Section X, “Product Retrieval Procedures,” of the Quality Assurance Guidelines (QAG) Manual
- “Managing Risks from Food Allergens” in Section XI, “Industry Guidelines” of the QAG Manual
- “Challenge Study Guidelines” in Section XI, “Industry Guidelines” of the QAG Manual
- Additionally, Joe Heinzelmann of the Neogen Corporation will present the topic, “Big Data, Smarter Food Safety” during the October 10th Committee meeting.
ADS Packaging Committee
During the coming year, the Packaging Committee will work on developing a troubleshooting guide for semi-rigid packaging including cups, lidding and machinery. The Committee will also develop a resource with a focus on packaging considerations to extend shelf life of clean label products.
Membership Advisory Council Meeting
The ADS Membership Advisory Council promotes membership in the Association through prospecting efforts, member retention, satisfaction and endorsement. The Council also capitalizes on member talent to improve Association programs for the benefit of ADS members.
Have a prospect? Please send the company name and contact information to Alesia Winters at [email protected]
Monday, October 11
Welcome and Introductions
ADS Director of Regulatory & Technical Affairs
ETB Chair’s Address
Executive Technical Board Chair
Wisconsin Spice, Inc.
ADS’ Communications Update
ADS’ Communications Manager
Gaining the Generational Advantage – Harnessing Generational Power
Karen McCullough & Co.
Food Regulatory Update
Dr. Jeannie Perron
ADS Legal Counsel
Covington & Burling
Importance of Traceability
New Products and Services Presentations
Moderator: Dorrie Francis, Litehouse, Inc. and Executive Technical Board Vice Chair
Presenters: ADS Supplier Members
Information Open House
Tuesday, October 12
AIB Pandemic Prepared Certification
Why COVID-19 & the Recession Accelerated, Stalled, or Reversed Key Trends: How to Navigate New Paths
Sanitary Design and Sanitation Considerations
Commercial Food Sanitation, LLC
The Challenges and Solutions for R&D to Work Hand in Hand with Sales and Marketing in Developing and Launching New Products
Opportunities in Sustainable Packaging
Quality Assurance New Testing Techniques Workshop
Moderator: Joni Fagan, Ken’s Foods
- Rheology Testing, Scott Sension, Anton Paar USA
- Quality and Prediction: A Nonlinear Approach on Microbial Spoilage, Vikrant Dutta, bioMérieux, Inc.
- Food Allergen Thresholds: Current Science and Potential Applications, Dr. Joseph Baumert, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Sanitation Testing, Margaret Vieth, 3M Company
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION ENDS AUGUST 19th!
Registration for the ADS Technical Meeting will take place exclusively online and is designed to save you time. Register by August 19 and you will qualify for the special advanced registration fee! Online registration is now closed. Please contact the ADS Headquarters at 678-298-1181 if you would like to register.
Immediately following your registration, an email confirmation will be sent to you, summarizing your selections and payment. Simply print the confirmation for convenient expense reporting.
In accordance with Association policy, the participants underwrite the entire cost of the Technical Meeting. The registration fee covers group meal functions and receptions, fees paid for presenters, audio/visual equipment, entertainment and decorations, stationery and printing costs, web-related expenses, staff travel, office costs and all expenses incurred in planning and coordination of the Meeting.
|On or Before August 19:||After August 19:|
In the event you must cancel your registration, cancellation fees apply as outlined above. After September 23, all fees are non-refundable.
*Non-member companies may attend one Technical or Annual Meeting to become familiar with the Association. The difference between member and non-member registration fees for the Technical or Annual Meeting is applicable to dues if received within sixty (60) days following the Meeting attended. Former members do not qualify for Non-Member rate.
**Spouse/Companion registration includes social functions only (breakfasts, lunches, receptions, dinners and the Information Open House). If your spouse/companion wishes to attend any business sessions (General Sessions, workshops), they must pay the full member registration fee.
ADS is offering sponsorships for many of the functions and events that take place at its Technical Meeting. Sponsorships are available to all members, Manufacturers and Suppliers, and provide a unique opportunity to create added visibility and name recognition for your company, products and services.
Sponsorships for each of the individual functions and events noted below will be on a first-come, first-served basis. You can select and pay for your sponsorship online when registering for the Meeting or contact Alesia Winters at [email protected] to pre-select your sponsorship.
- Diamond Sponsorship cannot be sponsored by the same company in consecutive years, unless it is available at the published deadline.
- Sponsorship limited to one (1) item per company per Meeting.
- All sponsorships are based on a first-come, first-served basis, taking into consideration the information contained in Point 1 above.
- All promotions will be provided by ADS as outlined in the Sponsor Levels and Benefits document. No giveaways allowed.
- If payment for sponsorship is not received within 30 days of commitment, the sponsored activity will be placed back in the sponsorship offerings.
|Diamond (1)||$3,000||Room Key Access Card -SOLD|
|Emerald (2)||$2,750||Sunday Evening Awards Dinner -SOLD|
Tuesday Evening Closing Dinner
|Ruby (3)||$1,500||Saturday Evening Meet ‘n Greet Reception -SOLD|
Sunday Evening Reception -SOLD
Tuesday Evening Reception-SOLD
|Sapphire (5)||$800||Monday Morning Breakfast|
Monday Morning Break – SOLD
Tuesday Morning Breakfast
Tuesday Morning Break-SOLD
Badge Lanyards (with ADS logo) -SOLD
ADS Sponsor Levels and Benefits
Room Key Access Card
Sunday Awards Dinner
Tuesday Closing Dinner
Badge Lanyards with ADS logo (1)
Coffee Breaks (2)
* No substitutions allowed.
Meet ‘n Greet Reception
Make sure you attend the Meet ‘n Greet Reception to meet your fellow ADS members and liaise with your colleagues on Saturday evening before heading out for dinner. This is your chance to see old friends after several months and make new ones.
Information Open House
Due to room limitations, tabletops will be limited to 88. Register early to ensure you have a tabletop.
The ADS Information Open House (IOH) is scheduled for Monday, October 11 from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. Set-up for Supplier members is 3:45 – 4:15 p.m. This informal tabletop exhibit provides the opportunity to meet new members, establish business relationships and re-connect with current clients. Suppliers are able to display industry-related literature, and limited product sampling will be allowed. Refer to the guidelines for additional information, as strict adherence is required. Reservations received after August 19 will be subject to availability. Reserve your tabletop during the registration process.
There is no charge to participate in the IOH, however, participants must be an ADS member and registered for the ADS Technical Meeting. Refer to the guidelines for specific policies regarding Supplier displays, including product sampling. Space is limited and will be allotted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tuesday Evening Networking Reception & Dinner
You haven’t said your goodbyes yet so get ready for another evening of true ADS camaraderie. This farewell event will boast a local band to accompany your networking activities and build on the many relationships you have formed and nurtured during this Technical Meeting. The closing reception and dinner is included with your registration fee.
The Association for Dressings & Sauces, on behalf of its members, has reserved a block of rooms at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort, at a discounted group rate. All rates are exclusive of applicable taxes. The current state and local taxes are 13.170%.
The Scottsdale Plaza Resort
7200 N. Scottsdale Rd,
Scottsdale, Arizona 85253
Phone: (480) 692-7442
Toll Free: 1 (800) 832-2025
Single or Double Occupancy: $190 plus $10 resort fee.
Attendees are encouraged to make their room reservations as early as possible. Room reservations at the group rate are available on a first-come, first-served basis to our attendees while the block lasts.
To make hotel reservations, click on this LINK or call toll-free at 1 (800) 832-2025 and be sure to identify yourself as part of ADS.
Interested in The Scottsdale Plaza Resort’s Covid Protocols? Click Here
To guarantee your reservation, you must provide a credit card number. If using a credit card to secure the reservation, your card will not be charged until you depart the hotel. You may cancel your reservation without penalty if you notify the hotel up to 48 hours prior to your scheduled arrival. Cancellations received by the hotel after that time will be subject to a cancellation fee of one night’s room and tax.
If you check out of the hotel prior to the reserved check-out date, the hotel will charge you an early check-out fee equal to one night’s room and tax. If you wish to avoid an early check-out fee, make sure to notify the hotel either at or before check-in of any change in planned length of stay.
Check-in at the hotel is after 4:00 p.m., and check-out is 11:00 a.m. Luggage storage arrangements for early arrivals, or late departures, can be made with the bell captain.
The daily Resort Fee of $10 is added to all reservations and includes: wireless internet in guestrooms and public areas, self and valet parking, fitness center, pool, and classes, in-room coffee, local and toll free calls, putting green, tennis court and tennis equipment rental, and transportation on the Plaza Shuttle to Fashion Square Mall, Old Town Scottsdale, Pavilions Shopping Center, Talking Stick Casino, and Cholla Trail at Camelback Mountain. The Scottsdale Plaza Shuttle will operate from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. and is offered on a first-come first-serve basis, based on availability.
Health and Safety
We can’t wait to get back together in-person in Scottsdale, Arizona this October. Creating a healthy and COVID-appropriate environment for all attendees and staff is of utmost importance to ADS. We are monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and are closely following public health guidelines in the state of Arizona and in the city of Scottsdale to ensure we meet health and safety protocols.
Protocols subject to change
To help with your planning, we wanted to share the following Q&As.
Q: Will ADS require attendees to wear masks?
A: At the current time, ADS will be requesting (not requiring) that participants wear a mask when attending indoor meetings or meals, except when eating/drinking.
Q: What is the hotel doing to keep us safe?
A: The Scottsdale Plaza Resort is closely monitoring CDC guidelines and government policy changes in an effort to confidently operate its hotel. As COVID-19 has impacted the world’s needs for health and sanitation standards, The Scottsdale Plaza Resort has made the changes to its physical property, employee communication and training, guest communication, property and room preparedness in our commitment to provide accommodations in accordance to CDC guidelines and recommendations.
- All meal functions will be outside. The Information Open House also will be outside in a covered pavilion.
- For indoor meetings, ADS will be working with the hotel to allow for social distancing as much as possible.
- The unique design and layout of the campus-style resort provides plenty of room to travel safely, including more than 40 acres of court yards and open spaces. All guestrooms feature a private exterior entry, individual air conditioning units, open breezeways, and open air stairwells.
Click here to view The Scottsdale Plaza Resort Health and Safety Plan.
Q: Will there be social distancing at the ADS 2021 Technical Meeting?
A: Social distancing will be encouraged per the latest updates from the CDC and state and local guidance.
Q: Will there still be an Information Open House (IOH)?
A: Yes, the ADS Information Open House will be held as it has previously, but it will feature additional directional and social distancing signage. Social distancing will be encouraged.
The Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is served by 20 domestic airlines including:
|Advanced Air – Swift Aviation||Frontier Airlines|
|Air Canada||Hawaiian Airlines|
|Alaska Airlines||JetBlue Airways|
|American Airlines||JSX – Swift Aviation|
|Boutique Air||Southwest Airlines|
|British Airways||Spirit Airlines|
|Condor Airlines||Sun Country Airlines|
|Contour Airlines||United Airlines|
|Delta Air Lines||Volaris|
Delta Air Lines Discount
Delta Air Lines is offering special discounted* airfares for ADS Meeting attendees. Discounts vary, depending on the class of ticket purchased, up to 10% off the fare for both domestic and international travel.
To take advantage of these Travel Discounts for both domestic and international travel:
- Visit the Delta Airlines website and click the Advanced Search link at the bottom of the “Book a Trip”.
- Complete the required fields, and enter meeting code “NMULH“.
- You may also call Delta Meeting Network® Reservations at 1-800-328-1111, Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Central Time. (Please use the same phone number to make changes to an existing Delta Meetings Network reservation.)
*Please note the following:
- NOT ALL FARES ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A DISCOUNT.
- Fare rules will determine eligibility.
- Discounts vary, depending on the class of ticket purchased, and apply to round trip travel only.
- For domestic programs, the two lowest class tickets (X & V) are not eligible for a discount.
- Not valid with other discounts, certificates, coupons or promotional offers.
- One free name change per passenger and additional name changes permitted at $200 USD / $200 CAD on select fares. (Domestic travel only)
- One free name change per passenger and additional name changes permitted at $175 USD / $175 CAD on select fares. (International travel only)
- If using a travel agent, please contact association staff for assistance.
The Scottsdale Plaza Resort is conveniently located just 17 miles (approximately 26 minutes) from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.
Taxi terminal access is as follows:
- Terminal 3: North curb, outside door # 7
- Terminal 4: Level 1, North curb, outside door # 7 and south curb, outside door #6
The following taxis are contracted to pick up passengers at Phoenix Sky Harbor:
Phone #: 480-888-8888
Phone #: 602-955-1355
Phone #: 602-300-3000
Rates remain the same regardless of company, number of passengers and number of bags. The first mile is $5. Each additional mile is $2.30. Each hour of a traffic delay is $23. The minimum fare is $15.
Effective June 18, 2016, a new $17 flat rate is in place to downtown Phoenix within the following boundaries:
- North boundary: Roosevelt Street
- South boundary: Lincoln Street
- West boundary: Seventh Avenue
- East boundary: Seventh Street
Ride share services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Terminal pick-up locations for ride share service providers are as follows:
- Terminal 3: South curb, west end outside door #4
- Terminal 4: Level 1, north curb, far west end outside door #1
- Terminal 4: Level 1, south curb, far east end, outside door #8.
Travel Tip: Customers should arrange their ride once they have all of their bags and are ready to exit the terminal.
Car and Shuttle Service
Phoenix Sky Harbor is served by hundreds of car and shuttle service providers that are permitted to do business at the airport. Click here for a list of those that offer ADA accommodations.
- Prearranged (Car Service)There are many permitted car service companies that regularly serve the Airport with options for vans, SUV’s, and town cars. Please see a Guest Service Representative at an Information Counter or a volunteer Navigator for information on researching this option. See a list.
- Courtesy Vehicles (Hotel Shuttles and Off-Site Parking) The Scottsdale Plaza DOES NOT have an airport shuttle. Off-Airport parking providers provide courtesy shuttles for customers. Please see a Guest Service Representative at an Information Counter or a volunteer Navigator for information on requesting a courtesy vehicle
Maps and Driving Directions
You can view and print a street map via the hotel’s Web site at the link above.
Returning to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport from The Scottsdale Plaza Resort
If You Are NOT Returning A Rental Car
- Turn Right onto Scottsdale Road (Travel South For Approx. 2.7 Miles)
- Turn Right onto Camelback Road (Travel West For Approx. 3.6 Miles)
- Turn Left onto 44th Street (Travel South For Approx. 4.2 Miles)
- Turn Right on Sky Harbor Boulevard (Follow Airport Signs To Appropriate Terminal)
Rental Car Returns at the Airport
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Rental Car Center, located at 1805 E. Sky Harbor Circle South, between 16th and 24th streets, south of Buckeye Road.
- Turn Right onto Scottsdale Road (Travel South For Approx. 2.7 Miles).
- Turn Right onto Camelback Road (Travel West For Approx. 6.1 Miles).
- Turn Left onto 24th Street (Travel South For Approx. 5.5 Miles).
- Turn Right onto Buckeye Road. (Travel West For Approx. 0.5 Miles – Follow Signs For Rental Car Return).
- Turn Left into the facility
The Facility is between 24th Street & 16th Street
Weather and Dress
October in Scottsdale
In late October, daytime temperatures are typically in the mid to high 80’s, with evening temperatures in the mid 50’s. Business casual attire is appropriate for all business sessions and social activities during the Technical Meeting.
Attractions & Dining in Scottsdale
3200 Windy Hill Road, SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
Members-Only Website: www.adsmembers.org
The Association for Dressings and Sauces is managed by Kellen (www.kellencompany.com). Kellen is a leading professional global services company providing association management, strategic consulting and customized solutions to a substantial and diversified client base that includes associations, societies, foundations, charities, corporations and entrepreneurs. Founded in 1964, the firm maintains offices in Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, New York, Washington, D.C., Brussels and Beijing.
Follow us on [email protected]
Click here to view the attendee list.
The Association for Dressings & Sauces2021 Technical Meeting
The Scottsdale Plaza Resort – Scottsdale, Arizona